Thursday, 19 June 2014

Day 57: Sacrifice.

I think it's fair to say that I've had this one waiting around to be uploaded a little too long... hence all the versions.  What can I say?  I'm a bit obsessed with Elizabeth I.  I did this to illustrate a scrappy thing I wrote (see below) about the process of Elizabeth cutting her hair to symbolise her intention on pursuing a life of symbolic celibacy.  The Tudors were fabulous marketeers, eh?  Themes like this pop up in my drawings more and more.  It's beautiful when history and mythology merge into one gorgeous mess.


It seemed to me
My heart could break
As many times
As I would let them
Break it.

But with every curl
That fell from me
My heart no longer
Seemed to beat.
So hard.

And with every streak
Of foul white grease
My smile became,
Not so weak,
But calm.
And collected.

Still I mourn for my youth and beauty
But in the name of my holy duty
To this land and to no man
I sacrifice my marital hand,
For the man that I can be;
A Holy Virgin Queen.




No comments:

Post a Comment